The 21st Annual Passavant-Powerade 5K and 10K is Saturday, May 25, at Passavant. The Race is the longest consecutive running competitive event in Jacksonville.
This year’s Race is being dedicated in memory of local broadcaster/businessman Jerry Symons. Symons served as the “voice” of the Passavant-Powerade Race for many years. The race and crew shirts will feature a special memorial emblem in Symons’ honor.
• Saturday, May 25, 2013, 7:30 a.m. start at Passavant Area Hospital.
• Proceeds benefit Girls on the Run (GOTR)-Jacksonville. GOTR is a self-esteem program for girls, ages 8 to 13.
• On-line registration and more details at passavanthospital.com. Advance entry fee is $20; $23 day of Race. Discounts available for members of the Springfield Road Runners Club (SRRC). Entry fee includes a technical running shirt.
• Course starts and finishes at Passavant, and is considered “flat and fast.” 10K is SRRC point series race.
• Custom medals awarded to first, second, and third place finishers, male and female, in 14 age categories.
10K – Men: Shane Hoerbert 32:47 (2012)
10K – Women: Joy Guardia 39:48 (2009)
5K – Men: Bryan Glass 15:36 (2012)
5K – Women: Hailee Elmore 18:57 (2003)
Sponsors for the 2013 Race include Coca-Cola, M.J. Kellner Foods, R.D. Lawrence Construction Company, Drs. Leutz and Albracht-Springfield Clinic, The Source, Jacksonville Savings Bank, Foot and Ankle Associates, Marcia Auld, DMD, Financial Resources Group, CPI, ReMax-Scott Eoff, Pro-Com Services, Production Press, The Cubby Hole, The Medicine Shoppe, Twyford’s Barbecue, Fitness World Health Club, Freeman Marketing, and Dave Large Professional Painting.