Founded in 1896, the mission of the Passavant Hospital Auxiliary is to advance and promote the welfare of Passavant Area Hospital through ways approved by the Passavant Hospital Board of Directors.
This is accomplished by:
· Interpreting to the public the functions, services, and needs of the hospital; · Providing services to the hospital and its patients; · Raising funds in a manner satisfactory to the Board of Directors of the Hospital and in harmony with the planning of the community.
The Auxiliary serves a three-fold purpose:
· To provide scholarships for employees seeking to further healthcare training; · To purchase needed items requested by various hospital departments; · To offer various outreach services and programs to support and promote Passavant Hospital in Jacksonville and the surrounding community.
Since 1953, an Annual Holiday Bazaar is held that adjusts as times dictate new needs. Currently, there are about a dozen departments including a luncheon and antique boutique.
Every four years a Follies stage-show is held, which is not only a fund-raiser, but has proven to be a successful community builder as well.
Uniform, book and jewelry sales are held throughout the year, offering quality items at special prices.
The Gift Shop:
Opening in 1951, as a major financial endeavor of the Auxiliary, this has to be one of the best-kept secrets in Jacksonville! The Shop speaks for itself as it houses some of the finest gifts and greeting card selections in town.
The Auxiliary is committed to promoting education. Many scholarships are granted to employees working toward advanced healthcare degrees. If they meet the criteria and the funds are available, full-time, part-time and per diem employees may apply for $700 scholarships up to three times per year.
Donations One of the Auxiliary’s major purposes is to help support various departments of the hospital with their needs. Items purchased in the last year include:
· C-arm portable x-ray unit for Surgical Department
· Fluorescent light covers for Imaging Services Department
· Z-Phone 150 and two, Z-Phone 340s for Nursing Administration
· iPads with iTunes for Speech Therapy Department
· Printer and window blinds for Gift Shop
· Tables, tablecloths, and greenery for use at the Bazaar
· Replenishment of Patient Support Fund for Volunteer Department
· Coffee supplies for the ICCU Waiting Room
· 2 GlideScopes for the Emergency Room and Operating Room
· Carpet for the Lobby, Meeting Rooms and Gift Shop
· Recumbent Cross Trainer for Cardiac/Pulmonary Rehabilitation
· Crib with Security Top for Pediatrics
· 12-Month Subscription to Baker Taylor Book Leasing for Sibert Library
· 4 Physio-Control Lifepak 500 AED Mobile Responders for Rehab. Services/Team Rehab.
· Jeep for Lifeline
Outreach Services and Programs
Central Illinois Community Blood Bank:
Auxiliary members coordinate with the CICBB to encourage participation in the Blood Bank and report on donors at the monthly Board meetings.
Mini-medical days are held to provide education for area second graders by offering tours of the hospital. Board members attend the Illinois Hospital Association (IHA) Volunteer Leadership Conference to support, enhance and expand hospital volunteerism.
Co-chairs provide information on pertinent state and federal legislation concerning medical issues affecting healthcare and hospitals and encourage membership in the IHA Political Action Committee.
Representatives from outlying communities (Alexander/Franklin/Waverly, Arenzville/Concord/Chapin, Greenfield/Roodhouse, Meredosia, and Murrayville/Woodson) serve on the Board to keep them in the Passavant “loop.”
Newsletters are prepared and mailed and/or e-mailed to all members at least four times a year to keep everyone informed about the Auxiliary’s activities and to advertise special events, sales and dues renewal.
Enter your information to receive the Passavant Auxiliary Newsletter:
Membership is a valuable asset to the Auxiliary in both revenue and service. · The membership year runs from January 1 to December 31. · Membership chairs are available at the annual Bazaar to renew or accept new memberships. · Membership is open to any person interested in the mission of Passavant Area Hospital. · There are two categories of membership: annual and life. · Any member in good standing shall have the right to vote at the annual May meeting. · Any member may participate in meetings and the affairs of the Auxiliary. · Any member may be nominated to serve on the Auxiliary Board and to hold office. · Membership is open to both women and men. · There is a married couple life membership rate. · Gift cards are available for gift memberships.
Roxie Werries of Meredosia was selected as Passavant Area Hospital’s Volunteer of the Year during the annual Volunteer Recognition Dinner June 14 at Hamilton’s.
Roxie, who regularly volunteers in the Passavant Auxiliary Gift Shop and at the Main Information Center, has volunteered at Passavant for 24 years. In addition to her regular volunteer schedule, she also works behind the scenes providing support on special volunteer projects and fund-raisers. Roxie also serves as the area chairman for Meredosia on the Passavant Auxiliary Board.
Nominations for the award come from fellow volunteers. Some of the nomination comments on Roxie included, “Always friendly and eager to help, looks for the good in others, a team player, kind and caring to everyone, and compassionate, conscientious, and very dependable.”
As Volunteer of the Year, Roxie receives a plaque, medallion, and a special Volunteer of the Year smock to wear while volunteering at Passavant.
Roxie Werries accepts the Passavant Volunteer of the Year award from, left to right, Doug Rahn, DBA, Passavant President and CEO; Jan Fellhauer, Director of Volunteers and Lifeline; and Greg Lepper, Chair of the Passavant Area Hospital Board of Directors.